Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Two BIG tips

So, I'm crazy in the middle of making about a million things. Seriously.

I've basically figured out how to make monoliths. I'm going to sell them as Necron buildings, but they look like Monoliths. In addition to that, I made a series of Necron powerplants from the Dawn of War game, as well as a greater summoning tower from the same. I've painted up about four necron spires which I routinely sell on Ebay...and that's just the Necrons.

For some strange reason, mainly because I'm not doing this to pay to eat, the pressure is off. As a result I have, and I'm not kidding on this, about thirty irons in the fire. I will share more when the time comes.

Until then, I would like to point out something. I have long believed that whatever GW says you should do in order to make something is a load of crap. Always. I believe I stand vindicated now. I decided to buy some Miliput (Green stuff) to use, and well, a situation came up where Miliput as it is described by GW seemed the obvious solution to my problem. So I used it.

That shit is horrible. Actually, its worse than that. It's useless. And when it dries it will screw up whatever piece you were attempting to reinforce before it falls off of whatever thing it was supposed to adhere to. It is neither an adhesive nor a very good putty whatever. You can buy air dry clay that works twice as well. Or if you really feel the need for something that dries to the durability of porcelain, may I recommend a trip to Home Depot. Look for stuff to stick Kitchen tile down to counters. That shit's awesome and comes in gallon bucket for about three bucks. If you are actually attempting to make things out of miliput--may I recommend sculpy or...geez anything else; that shit sucks, is I guess what I'm saying.

Meanwhile, a long time ago I recommended the plastic that people put in ceiling lights in offices instead of Plasti-card. This is because plasticard is about $8 per square foot and the sheet plastic for the light fixtures is about $3 for 6 square feet. The only problem was how to cut it. I tried an electric knife (shattered), a dremel cutting wheel (melted the plastic to the wheel), the actual tool you're supposed to use (useless and only cut in straight lines after breaking your arm). Solution: scissors.

You're welcome!

4 comments:

Q said...

Wow, I have been using greenstuff for a while and I haven't had hat problem. I am intrigued to try the kitchen tile adhesive though.

Long time no speak Monstro, how are things going?

Monstro D. Whale said...

Things are going pretty good. You're blog went all crazy fifty million posts for awhile so I figured I'd wait until all that died down to check it all out and then you moved and reprinted so... I will be back, you can bet on that.

Monstro D. Whale said...

Oh, and I might have gotten a bad batch of milliput. Still, at $7.75 for 4 oz., I shouldn't get a bad batch. I never get bad batches of drywall paste or plaster of paris, or RTV rubber, so... I guess my point is, from my experiences, I'm not impressed.

Q said...

Oh I see your point especially with the cost being what it is for the tiny amount that you get. I have just sculpted some stuff here recently using it and it went ok, my main issue with it is that it dries so fast. I will post some pics of my army and my friends eldar using the terrain you made. We used some special rules for the demon portal/chaos gateway, I will have to lay those out otherwise the battle looks wierd. Have you posted some pics of your necron stuff, is it up on the other site?