Thursday, April 26, 2007

disasterously fast attack

Bad moves. I got my ass handed to me the other night by Chris and his Space Marine/Daemonhunters which really sucked because I thought my list was pretty good.

It consisted of:
5 fire dragons and an exarch with firepike and tank hunter loaded in a falcon with vectored engines, holo field, spirit stone, and two shuriken cannons

5 shining spears- 1 exarch with star lance, skilled rider and withdraw

Farseer w/ runes of warding, witnessing, spirit stones, jetbike, doom, fortune, guide, mind war

6 jetbikes- 2 shuriken cannons+ 1 jetbike mounted warlock with conceal

9 Dire Avengers- w/exarch: defend, bladestorm, power weapon and shimmer shield
in a wave serpent with twin linked scatter lasers

5 harlequins w/kisses and a shadowseer

3 dark reapers.

Here's what I was hoping to do. I wanted to use the bikes as a meat shield for the farseer who would follow up the shining speers making them a formidable fighting force. The firedragons and dire avengers would be popping around the board to blow up big stuff as necessary leaving the harlequins and dark reapers as mop up.

Here's what went wrong. Everything could get into hand to hand combat in the first round, which turned out to be too fast. Crap blew up, that's true, but then I'd find myself somehow locked in combat with terminators. The enemy troops that weren't engaged could effectively pick and choose what they wanted to get into hand to hand with and the skirmishes blocked line of sight from my mop up crew. It all turned out very badly.

3 comments:

Ad Astra said...

Do you think taking a Warlock on a Jetbike to go with a Jetbike unit is worth the points? I've been toying with it but doesn't seem to be worth it given the points. Maybe a JB Warlock with Destructor that I can template at close range since I will be in close enought to use my Shuriken Cannons. I've been having some good luck taking my Jetbike units in 8-10 and vrooming them up to a non-assault enemy unit- shooting the hell out of them and then charging in on the assault. Another kind of dirty trick I do if I am facing a horde or assault army is to place my Farseer on a Jetbike and surround her with four of my Vypers. Lots of Guide on the Vypers and set up this way she can't be asaulted since there isn't a 1" gap in the bases of the Vypers to her.

Monstro D. Whale said...

Couple of things. I think the Warlock is there for the witchblade. It punches out vehicles without too much trouble. The real trick though, for me, is to run shining spears and jetbikes followed by a farseer. The farseer can cause any of the troops who go more than 12" to reroll their saves and this means you can make an effectively impervious shield. Guide is good for anything and I'm not against it (I prefer it to doom), but eldar aspects hit well enough on their own and shining spears are particularly deadly on the turn they charge. Combine that with hit and run and you have a really powerful force. Arm them with a guardian bike squad meatshield with a 3+ invulnerable that they can re-roll and they will last the entire game and more than make up their points. I pretty much stopped an entire IG army this way. The best part is that shining spears have sucked for so long that no one thinks to worry about them. The new rules pumped them up dramatically.

Dudeseph said...

Warlock buddies are quite a bonus in my mind. But more often than not, it depends on how you use them. We have a squad of 6 with 3+ saves because they are awesome like that. We tack on a warlock with the same bonus and he gives them 5+ cover. If you didnt already turboboost, then yes, the cover is nice. But for the most part, the guns that are best at taking out jetbikes would probably have their attention elsewhere. Effectively nullifying their pain until they are useful.

In your instance, they could have held up well. Never having truely fought grey knights and the whatnot,i rally cant dispense much advice in that area. However, speedy as 80% of your army is, I probably would have stuck everyone on one side. and when the enemy got too close, just fly over to the other side.

Those are just my 7 cents

In your particular instance,