Friday, August 11, 2006

Dawn of War- evil Eldar tactic

Well, I officially played my first on line game against total strangers and it was...every thing I feared it would be. Honestly.

Now I know, I know. I'm a newbie. I'm so new that you have no idea, and to tell you the truth, there's a reason I'm a newbie. I don't want to play against random people. I want to play against a computer the way that God intended video games to be played.

But, unfortunately, they don't really make games for people like me any more. It's the multi-player option that sells the game. Witness Doom 3. What a disapointment.

And so, I figured it was time. I'd after all beaten both Dawn of War and Winter Assault on the highest settings, how bad could it be?

So, I called up my friend Russ, who plays IG at our usual game and runs a computer fix it business, and we tried to connect. But of course, my computer has three firewalls, and the wireless router is connected to a gateway and the gateway is connected, evidentally to Bill Gates who then tells me that I can't play on line. The only other option is game spy, and well...Russ can't play on gamespy with his copy.

But I can, because I am an honest person. I knew there would be an advantage in there somewhere. So, I get on gamespy and quite suddenly find out that something is wrong. I produce, no shit, a squad of scouts, and my base begins to be assaulted by wave after wave after wave of marines. So someone's cheating. Then I play another guy and I lose. Fair and square I'm thinking, but the third game is a four player game...I think. I don't know, my support never showed up and when I went over to see what the hell he was doing, he appeared to be making Defilers. No troops mind you, just Defilers.

This was the point at when I stopped playing on Game spy and began again to play against the computer. Man, am I good with Eldar. Also, I've managed to get games going against my friends (I just had to reload the game and get rid of those pesky patches), but they've got a bit of building up to do, I think.

Alright the Eldar tactic, and this is fricking viscious, is to teleport in pretty close to their base with your bonesingers, build a webway portal and then just start building turrets...not late in the game; first thing. They'll never get more than a squad out before they lose their armory if all goes well. And even if they do, a turret can take out a commander before it goes down. Especially if the bonesingers are repairing it. Plus, you can hide them in the webway portal, if needs be to protect them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm similar to you in that aspect. I refuse to play online simply for the number of idiots you have to deal with. My friend also can't play on gamespy. Try using "Hamachi" to create a virtual network and play across the virtual LAN that it creates. It worked just fine for us. Not sure of the site name, but google would find it easily. Very small and simple app.

I found your building/painting site and then stumbled across this entry. Hope it works for you.

V/r

Robert