Thursday, August 17, 2006

Ebay=Sketch

Not to bite the hand that feeds me or anything, but man, Ebay is sketchy. Honestly today I received two emails. The first, a guy who took a month to pay me for the $200 worth of scenery he bought, wasn't there to pick up the package. According to him, the box sat on his stoop until the Post office picked it back up and sent it back to me. This would have been a month ago, and I have yet to receive the box.

Ahem...does the U.S. mail really pick stuff up that sits on someone's porch too long. I mean, I know that UPS will do that if they require a signature or something, but the USPS has an option for that sort of thing, which this guy didn't take. Theoretically, the box should have stayed on his porch from now until doomsday.

My guess is that someone walked along and stole it.

In any case, because I was the one who sent him the package, evidentally, this is my responsability. He's wondering how I can fix the problem.

On the other hand, in the second email, there's an object that arrived broken. It happens sometimes, that's why I advise insurance. I don't think after today, that "option" is going to be optional anymore. So, I'm writing this guy back telling him that I can replace parts, if he wants to send it back to me, I can fix it, etc., and then I notice the date. The guy has had this particular item for a week. A WEEK! He hasn't noticed that its broken for an entire week?

The worst thing is, I'm really trying to do business with a certain ammount of trust. I want to be the guy who sells you a product and then stands behind it. Unlike the Dell computer I'm currently typing on, I want my things to have some sort of reliable fix-it man face behind them. I want to tell the guy that as soon as I get his package I'll send it back to him. I want to ship out spare parts to fix the guys broken scene.

But then, what if the package is sitting in the guy's living room and he just wants more stuff? What if the guy just wants two pieces of scenery for the price of one? What then? There's a fine line between customer service guru and sucker.

The bottom line is that if you're going to sell on ebay, you kind of have to be a hard ass. There's really no two ways around this.

So my answer now is that I will refund anything, but I want the item back, and I'm not paying for the return shipping. That's pretty fair I think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've never ran upon your blog until I saw your stuff on Ebay. I just have a comment about the Ebay sales. The guy that wants a refund of the stuff that he didn't pick up, that's his problem. Your responsibility ended when you shipped the goods. I am a powerseller on Ebay, mainly for 40K items. You have to be careful with these guys and don't let them push you around. Also, you should have a statement in the auction that if insurance isn't taken then you aren't responsible for damages. Oh, and NEVER send a package without delivery confirmation. That is the best 50 cents investment for shipping....Period! Keep up the good work. ~~DR

Monstro D. Whale said...

It gets worse. The guy who claims his item bust to bits has a private rating, 12 negative feedbacks within the last year, took 10 days to pay, and got the item 7 days ago. When I told him to send the item back to me, he tells me that he's on vacation and that when he gets back, he'll let me know what needs to be done. Aye carumba.