Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The horrors, the horrors- gluing and pinning

Demons are a super cheap troup choice. This is funny if you started playing chaos back in 88, when there wasn't anything in the game more expensive than a demon. Now, I put in six daemonettes just to get the limitation out of the way.

Now, don't get me wrong. They are cheap, but they don't suck. Even the daemonettes can get lucky, and the invulnerable save is nothing to scoff at. Plus, for Tzeentch, the horrors can be upgraded to flamers without much of a problem. They are still cheeper than nine guys with a rubicon sign. If I really wanted to fully implement the super terminator idea, I wouldn't buy any human troops, but I thought I'd least make a show of playing thousand sons, even if I'm really just trying to play their terminators.

The actual model for the Horrors is a pain in the ass. Keep in mind that GW made their name with the original marine box set which is reminescent of the Gaunt box set now: a bunch of parts from which you can fashion 20 marines. At the time, this set cost around $30.

My point is that GW has a moral obligation to create sets where there is a whole bunch of gluing involved so that you can "customize" your miniatiature. With Gaunts this is really fun, though I still have a problem with WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). After all, I'm currently talking about an army with two artifacts which do not exist on any miniature. Plus, is there really a point to this WYSIWYG. I prefer full disclosure: here is this miniature, it is a chaplain, he has a rosius and a plasma gun, yes if you ask me later I will tell you this again. It's called a friendly game. I shouldn't need eight librarians to cover the whole spectrum of my options when I can never play more than one librarian at a time.

But I digress. All of this is particularly pointless when it comes to Horrors. You have to glue on their arms. Arms!!! You're choosing between claw or fist. There's not effect either way in the game. Geez, just model the miniature with the arms already connected. Is that too much to ask?

What's worse is I think the box set I got was coated with anti-super glue stuff. Seriously. It's a ball and socket joint. That's the easiest glue there is, and yet it took me three hours to put together ten miniatures, and I eventually had to pin them to get them to set. By the time I was done, I was wearing super glue gloves. I'll be biting my fingers for the better part of the new year.

No comments: