Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Introduction

Maybe, I should put something like this somewhere more visible, more permanent or something like that. I don't know.

The problem is that I have two blogs. One that's relatively "me" centered, and this one here. Which one would you trick out? Well, same here. So, the description of me which would probably serve to hold all this information permanently is set up to be a cool into kind of thing for my other blog (though, admittedly, it isn't really all that cool).

So, me. Or more importantly, me as a player of 40k.

Let's see. I've been playing Warhammer 40k since I was 15, or 1988. At the time I started, I played Orks. My opponents were many, but eventually people dropped out of the game at which time, they often sold me their stuff. Eventually my only enemy was an Eldar player, and given how unfair the rules for Eldar were (and how incompetent the Orks were), I changed teams. I played Chaos--specifically Slaanesh using the old rules from the Slaves to Darkness book. Believe it or not, this made for "fair" battles. Both armies cheated to the same degree.

Eventually, the Eldar player dropped out and he too sold me his stuff. Then there was a lull, and for about 8 or 9 years, I did not play the game (though I did manage to lose the lion's share of my Ork army). Then an amazing thing happenned. I decided I needed money, and so...armed only with a big box of lead, I attempted to sell my collection on Ebay.

Now, I am not against buying or selling miniatures on Ebay. Given Games Workshops crazy ass price increases, I say, "get around them any way you can." These miniatures were expensive when the game first came out. Since then, the entire industry has gone mad--and Games Workshop has shown themselves to be the king of the crazies. $25 for an Obliterator! You've got to be kidding me.

I'm sure to talk more about this later, as well as mourn the death of the only sane company out there: Armorcast, but we're talking old history now, and so I best stay on the subject.

I did not fair well with Ebay. I could not sell my miniatures painted for more than they were worth unpainted. I make no bones about this, I am not the creme de la creme of the painting world. But I'm good, and I've got tricks, and you can paint your miniatures using my tricks and they will look good enough to be played, and to catch people's eye.

My point is that, learning of the rock bottome prices that people would sell their miniatures for on Ebay, I began to rebuild my armies, and I found someone to play with--a guy named Avram Hooknoobie.

Fast forward: I now have (and paint) a number of armies. Chaos (Tzeentch/Thousand Sons, The Pyre, and the beginnings of an Emperors Children army), Marines (a Scout army chapter as yet unknown, Ultramarines), Eldar (Saimhann), Orks and Tyranids (both of which I have yet to begin seriously painting, and so I don't have a color scheme quite yet), Harlequins, Daemonhunters/Grey Knights. When I use the term army, I generally mean the ability to field a 1,000 point force.

I play now with a group of guys who are less than adamentine about playing WYSIWYG. Chris plays Space Marines and Necrons, Russ plays Imperial Guard and occasionally Death Wing, Slash plays just about anything but often spends the first ten minutes of the game saying things like: "these quarters represent my Wraithguard. Between my collection, and Slash's improvisation, any kind of battlefield can be played. For the most part we play games with four different armies.

Russ and Chris send their miniatures out to be painted, I paint my own, and Slash...well, some things are painted, some aren't, and some can't. In our group, I'm the scenery guy in that I make scenery. The other people provide store bought scenery which works okay, and I'll probably review that stuff from time to time.

Anyways, beyond that, I think it's probably best just to get in on with it.

No comments: