Saturday, March 25, 2006

bio

I think way back when I started this blog...back in the good old days of January ought six. Oh wait, that was like a month ago. Anyways, hidden somewhere back there, there's a bio of me or something. Rather than have ebay customers trying to find it, I figured I'd just re-up. Let's see. I've been a carpenter, if that matters. I began playing warhammer 40k back in 88 or 89...something like that and I have always been the "scenery designer" of whatever group I play in. I wish I could say that I have 17 years experience, but that's really not true. I took a hiatus, so I probably have something like 9 years. Moreover, it's really the last four without adult supervision that have been the most profitable.

Let's just say this. I have a dremel and I'm not afraid to use it. I have three hot knives, not to mention the glue gun, which will melt Styrofoam. I have boxes and boxes of packing material, various Christmas town accessories, tubs of all kinds of spackles, and bottles full of chemicals. I am the McGuyver of the scenery building world, and luckily, I have a wife who supports me in this, occasionally saves trash for me to use, and most of all doesn't throw things out. What do you say at this point...I'm that guy.

What kind of guy? The games workshop stores take notes when I talk scenery building. Well, that's not always true, but it is sometimes true. And anyway, that's no great accomplishment. Those guys are good at painting armies, they don't build scenery.

So, I guess in the end, that's probably the thing I think is most important for my customers to know. Way back in '88, I saw this game at Dundracon, back at the Oakland Hyatt, and I thought, 'I don't care how it's played or how much it costs, I want to play that game.' I thought this because 40k looks good. Now, for some people, this means painting miniatures that could go in 'Eavy Metal. Okay fine. But what does it matter when you're throwing a sheet over some books to make a hill and decorating the board with shampoo containers to simulate a factory. If the scenery doesn't look good, it doesn't matter what your miniatures look like. That's where I come in. My scenery looks good.

No comments: