Saturday, March 29, 2008

The "Base" of the problem

Okay, here's the problem in a nutshell. As a scenery designer, I realize that if you make scenery that doesn't have a base on it, it will, most likely, fall apart. One of the guys in my group is an unofficial scenery durability tester and he habitually breaks little things off of bigger things and drops big things on the ground. In the real world he fixes computers. It boggles the mind.

Okay so, scenery needs a base. That's fine. I've worked through this a bunch of ways. I used to cut bases out of pink styrofoam insulation, which is fine, but I've switched. Hardboard is a pain to cut but turns out to be pretty good for odd shapes. I've settled on "plates" that I can pull out of a box, so tiles from Home Depot and CDs which you can buy en masse off the internet for really cheap (anytime someone offers you a free CD take it and use it as a base for scenery).

In any case, this post isn't about making scenery, it's about playing with it. When you put something on a base, it immediately becomes a point of contention for the people playing the game. Is that area scenery? Do I have to be behind something to get my save? Do I get my save everywhere? Is the whole thing level 1, 2, or 3? My IG player came to me with a piece of scenery to put ground on. It was one foot by one foot, had four broken walls around the edge. He wants to play it as level 2 area terrain ruins... 4+ save. Four walls across a square foot!

So, I ask, is it really that f'ing hard to put a tape measure through the center of a base to the enemy and see if it crosses anything. I mean, has that become a physical impossibility? I'm just curious. Because it seems to me that not everything in the world has to be area terrain. It seems to me that we might call the terrain by what it looks like and just figure it out, on our own, with the help of a straight line...just sort of figure out whether or not a miniature's line of sight is partially obscured, and if it is, give a cover save.

What are you guys doing out there?

2 comments:

Vincent Fong said...

guys in my community have some house rules on cover saves and using actual LOS of the models, regardless of the model is on the 'base' of the terrain or not to benefit from it. if anything can't be agreed on, its always a roll of dice.

Chicago Terrain Factory said...

I'm so glad my competitive gaming days are behind me so I don't have to worry about this BS. But to leave a more constructive comment:

My understanding of terrain bases is that a representational piece would use the base as a defined area. i.e. 2 trees make a forest and 4 broken walls make a destroyed building.

Intact structures, such as the upright Tau scenery, function strictly as Line of Sight blockers. Saves may be given, but with none of the abstract rules attached to area terrain.